How to get your suspended Missouri driver’s license back

August 4, 2022
How to get your suspended Missouri driver’s license back

Authorities in Missouri at the Missouri Department of Revenue may revoke or deny your driving privileges for a number of reasons. Common among these is a conviction or guilty plea for a driving while intoxicated charge. Other reasons include an accumulation of points on your driver’s license or a conviction for a felony involving a motor vehicle.

No matter what reason was behind your suspended driving privileges, the important thing is to understand the steps you need to take to get the Missouri Department of Revenue to reinstate them. Here are some tips about how to start the process:

Understand why authorities took your privileges away

When you are seeking to reinstate your Missouri driving privileges, the very first step you should take is to understand exactly why authorities took your privileges away. You can refer to the letter that the driver license bureau sent to you communicating the reason why. If you no longer have the letter, request a copy of your driving record from any Missouri license office.

Check timeframe and necessary forms

The letter should also indicate when you can apply to reinstate your privileges. You cannot apply for reinstatement prior to this time. The time depends on your Missouri driving history over the five years previous to the revocation of your privileges. In addition, depending on the reason(s) that authorities took your privileges away, you will also have to pay certain fees and file specific forms. 

No matter what the reason for your revoked privileges, you must follow the proper procedures for requesting reinstatement. The procedure can be complex, especially in more serious cases, so if you have questions or need assistance in filing for reinstatement, you can schedule a consultation with a criminal defense attorney who can help you better understand your situation. A qualified attorney can also assist you with the legal process and documentation necessary for filing for reinstatement.


For personalized legal guidance, call our office at 417-882-9300 or submit this form to schedule a meeting with an attorney.

    How would you like to be contacted?

    Check all that apply

    Quiz question:8 + 14 =? - please fill the result in the input field below

    Map & Directions